One of my favorite korean dish is Japchae (잡채), which means, ‘mixed vegetables’. The main ingredient of this classic dish is the Korean sweet potato starch noodles also known as dangmyeon (당면).
Normally served as a side dish but also can be served as a main dish. This dish is very popular during the Korean festive holiday i.e New Year’s Day and Harvest Festival).
What I like about Japchae (잡채) although it can be considered tedious in preparation is that I can always make a huge batch of it, and then packed into separate containers to keep it in the fridge for a maximum of a week. All we need to do before serving is heating it up quickly in the microwave. As I usually prepared Japchae (잡채) without meat, I can just add the cooked meat after microwaving it.
- 250 gm Korean Sweet Potato Starch Noodles (dangmyeon, 당면)
- 1 medium carrot – julienned
- 110 gm baby spinach
- 1 large yellow onion – thinly sliced
- 150 gm shiitake mushroom – thinly sliced
- 2 sprig of scallion – cut into 3 inch
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2.5 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp roasted sesame seeds (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients and mix well until sugar is well dissolved
- Blanch the spinach in boiling water until it is wilted. Drain quickly and shock in cold water. Squeeze out the excess water and cut the spinach into 2-inch lengths. Season slightly with salt, pepper and sesame oil
- Bring the water to oil and cook the Korean Sweet Potato Starch Noodles (dangmyeon, 당면) according to the instruction on the package (usually between 6 – 7 minutes). Rinse in cold water and drain. Cut the noodles into 6 incl lengths. Mix with 2 tbsp of the prepared sauce in a large bowl
- In the large non-stick skillet, stir fry the noodle over medium heat until it is translucent. Set aside in a large bowl
- Add 1/2 tbsp of oil into the pan and stir fry the onion until translucent. Season accordingly with salt & pepper. Once onion is almost done, stir in the scallion and cook briefly. Transfer into the bowl together with the prepared Korean Sweet Potato Starch Noodles (dangmyeon, 당면) in point 4
- Add 1/2 tbsp of oil and stir fry the carrot for 1 to 2 minutes until it is softened. Transfer into the same bowl
- Add 1/2 tbsp oil and stir fry the mushroom for 5 minutes. Season accordingly with salt & pepper. Transfer to bowl
- Add the spinach into the bowl and add the remaining sauce
- Toss well by hand. Adjust the seasoning to taste by adding a little more soy sauce or sugar as necessary to taste
Note: If you are interested in adding in meat, prepare the meat separately by stir frying it and then season it accordingly. Then mix and toss well.
Note: Left over Japchae (잡채) must be kept refrigerated and reheat to get the soft and chewy dangmyeon (당면) before serving.