Marmite is a concentrated yeast extract paste what is yummy served on toast or used in broth. It is very suitable for vegetarian as well.
Marmite is also a popular flavoring or sauce base used in some Chinese dishes. Popularly cooked with chicken or pork ribs, it is a favorite in most Chinese household and restaurant.
Today, I tried getting my hand into preparing Marmite Chicken for my family. A quick search online, I decided to improvise (based on the ingredients that I have at home) from nasilemaklover blog – Chicken Marmite. Because of family preference, I had make more of the sauce, serving the dish with more sauce.
- 500 gm chicken – chopped into bite size
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp cornstarch / potato flour
- 2 cloves garlic – chopped finely
- Sesame seed (garnishing)
- Red Chilli / Parsley (garnishing)
- 2 tbsp marmite
- 4 tbsp honey
- 200 ml hot water
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- Marinate chicken with soy sauce, salt and egg for a minimum of 1 hour
- Add all the marmite sauce ingredients together. Mix well and set aside
- Coat chicken well with the cornstarch / potato flour. Deep fried till golden brown
- In the wok, heat 1 tbsp of oil
- Add in the garlic and saute
- Add the marmite sauce and bring to boil
- Add the chicken and coat evenly
- Serve hot garnished with the garnishing of your choice