Christmas is my family and my favourite time of the year! And this year, this ‘Santarina’ decided to spend some time in the kitchen testing out some new cookies for Christmas.
Recently discovered this wonderful recipe Chocolate Mint Kiss Cookies where I adapted the recipe a little and also replacing the Chocolate Mint Kisses with the Candy Cane that I had in my kitchen. As much as I dislike the process as I always find rolling dough in the sugar an extra task, I am happy that I decided to do so for this recipe, turning Chewy Chocolate Peppermint Cookies one of the favourite by my little ‘chef’ in the kitchen.
250 gm Butter
200 gm Granulated Sugar + 100 gm Granulated Sugar (for rolling of the dough later)
2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
320 gm All-Purpose Flour
100 gm Unsweetened Cocoa Powder / Dark Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
20 small candy cane (crushed)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking sheet parchment paper.
- In large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Half way through the dry ingredients, add in the crushed candy cane and mix until well combined.
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour covered
- Using either small cookie scoop or teaspoons, scoop dough into balls and roll in the granulated sugar
- Place the balls onto the tray
- Bake for 8 – 12 minutes